FHYouth website is sponsored by the MassHire Franklin Hampshire Youth Career Connections Council, a group of representatives from private industry, public organizations, youth service providers and schools. The mission of the Youth Career Connections Council is to ensure the prosperity of Franklin, Hampshire and North Quabbin youth by increasing youth “connectedness,” enhancing school-community youth engagement, and improving youth education and employment prospects. You will find a wide range of information and programs available to youth.
Everything You Need To Know About Child Labor Laws
As a young person in the work force, particularly if you are under 18, Massachusetts has child labor laws and regulations you should be aware of. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact our Career Center. We’re here to help you clarify any regulations you may not understand. Our goal is to help you guarantee your employment is safe, financially viable, and helps you develop a career path you’re happy with.
Massachusetts Child Labor Laws
Jobs Youth May Perform
Ages 13 & Under
- Delivering Newspapers
- Acting or performing
Ages 14 & 15
- Any job not declared hazardous:
- Youth under 18 cannot work in mining, logging, meatpacking, roofing, excavation or demolition, they cannot with saws, explosives, radioactive materials or most power driven machines.
- You must be 18 to clean or operate motorized equipment.
Hours Youth May Work
- From 6am- 10am (until 10.15 if the employer serves until 10)
- No more than 9 hours a day
- No more than 48 hours a week
- No more than 6 days a week
- An exception can be made on non-school nights, and may work until 11.30pm or midnight if working at a restaurant or race track.
- From 7am-7pm
- Exception: In the summer (July 1-Labor Day), youth may work until 9pm.
During the School Year
- May not work during school hours
- No more than 3 hours on any school day
- No more than 18 hours during any week
- No more than 8 hours on any weekend or holiday
When School Is Not In Session
- No More than 40 hours per week
- No more than 8 hours on any day
- No more than 6 days per week
For more information or a tour of our offices and resource center please contact:
Youth Services Coordinator
Anitra@fhcareers.org or 413-774-4361 ext. 368